Basic Bloodstain Pattern Analysis course ( 40 Hours)
Our 5 day ( 40 hours) Basic Bloodstain Pattern Analysis Course is designed to give the participants a basic foundation on Bloodstain Pattern Analysis. The focus of this intensive course is to provide the participants knowledge of Bloodstain Pattern Analysis through the application of concepts of biology, biochemistry, physics and mathematics to objectively define and reconstruct events associated in a bloodletting event. This training will give participants a unique opportunity to acquire first-hand knowledge of the bloodstain pattern analysis through lectures of theory, demonstrations and hand-on practical laboratory exercises.
This course is designed for all levels of law enforcement personnel, especially those who search for blood at scenes as well as on articles of physical evidence, investigators, crime scene personnel, attorneys, prosecutors, judges, medico legal investigators and participants studying forensics science and/or criminal justice.
This 40 hour basic course follows the recommended training guideline as set forth by the Scientific Working Group for Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (SWGSTAIN) and the International Association of Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (IABPA).
Training topics to be covered:
- History of Bloodstain Pattern Analysis.
- Characteristics of Liquid Blood.
- Flight characteristicts of blood and their patterns.
- Target Surface Considerations.
- Impact Angle Determination.
- Calculating the Area of Origin.
- Limitations of bloodstain pattern analysis.
- Sampling techniques and presumptive testing.
- Interpretation with the use of the SWGSTAIN taxonomy.
- Proper documentation and photographing of bloodstains.
- Approaching a bloodstain pattern case.
- Using bloodstain patterns to reconstruct crime scenes.
- Case reviews.
- Health and Safety Issues.
- Bloodstain analysis equipment.
What to bring to the course:
Participants are advised to bring seasonally appropriate clothing.
We also encourage to bring a digital camera which could be very helpful if you wish to document any of your experiments.
Assessment Standards/ Certification:
A certificate will be issued for successful completion of a written assessment of the course requirements.
Materials/Supplies Loci Forensics B.V. will provide:
- Laboratory and Reference Manual.
- All lab supplies.
- Certificate of Completion.
- Water, coffee, tea, orange juice and milk.
Course duration, date, location & fee:
The length of the course is 40 hours of instruction. The course will be conducted Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Loci Forensics Training Institute, Nieuw-Vennep, the Netherlands.
This course has a price of € 995.00 ( exclusive 21% VAT ) per participant . Each participant is responsible for making his or her own hotel reservation ( See Below ).
Upon receipt of your registration and payment you will receive a confirmation e-mail including a list of items to bring to the course. In the event of insufficient registrations, this course will be cancelled.
Note: This course utilizes animal blood for experimentation.